Declined [Mob] Thundering Skies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Map Name: Thundering Skies
Author: Catcocomics
Type: Mob
World border: players trying to escape will fall into void, though if need be, you can use the purple-winged ships for guidance.
Download: I haven't created a warp for this, but it's directly above Lantern Square, can't miss.
Game Time: don't care, just leave it dynamic.
Round Time: average mob round time I guess
Maximum Players: 4
Block 'splosion: go ahead and make everything blast-proof, even if ghast fireballs are really weak.
wave time: average wave time?
Player Spawn(s): By the black shulker boxes
Mob Spawn Locations:

Shop Items: check the colored shulker boxes in the small shelters under the black shulker boxes (and put an anvil by the yellow shop, please)
Fall Damage: nope.
End Wave: Start with 30, and if people can't get late-game gear by end, or if flying mobs don't spawn within the first 5, we make it longer.
Mob List: Ghast, Blaze, Vex. all other mobs are redundant because they don't fly (unless skeletons are a good enough of an aim to shot from ~20 blocks away, which is doubtful).

Totally professional-level photography:

Special notes:
*there are no swords in this map; only bows and a knock-back shovel.
*enchanted diamond armor cannot be purchased; you have to make it yourself.
*I tested the Exorcist's Headpiece on a zombie and a vex with nothing else on me; both tests yielded 8-hit kills.

I'll post an infection map in a few days, hopefully.
After that, I get with Comp to work on a few of my previous maps to make them work/add them back in.

Last edited:
G

Guest35486

Hi Catco, thanks for the submission!

I understand that it may seem a bit weird to make a decision for a map this early, but the map will not work for AoD at the moment. While this is an interesting idea, the mobs you have listed will not spawn until several waves later, meaning that the first few waves will not have any mobs at all. This cannot be changed per map at the moment, as it is part of the code.

The explanation above is the main reason why we're declining this map. However, to provide feedback for the map itself, I have several other concerns:

The beginning kits/boxes are problematic. I'm not sure if you intend them to be kits or simply boxes next to spawn, since it was not specified in the first post. It makes more sense for them to be kits, so I'll be addressing them as such. (If they are actual boxes next to spawn, certain players may take the arrows from other boxes before other players get a chance to. Players that join later do not get a chance at all either.) While I don't think anyone is this terrible at using the bow, having a bow with limited arrows and without any permanent alternatives, like the Fighter's Stick, may be an issue. Once the player runs out of arrows, they cannot obtain gold, and therefore cannot buy any weapons. Without any arrows or weapons, the player will be left with nothing to do.

Other than the starting kits, the shops may be a bit of an issue. For example, one can obtain 8 arrows for 2 gold, but also an Infinity book for 4 gold. The set up for your shops may seem a bit imbalanced. Players can purchase a Power I book for 1 gold, Flame for 2, and Infinity for 4. (and 8 Bottles o' Enchanting for 1 gold) You also have a bow with these exact enchantments, (though Power IV instead of I) but priced at 64 gold. Either way, both of them seem a bit too powerful for the amount of gold listed.

Vexes seem like the only mob that will provide an actual challenge. Sure, ghasts and blazes may be annoying and set the player on fire, but there are fire resistance potions. Ghasts and blazes act rather passively as well. Blazes don't tend to move from when they spawn and ghasts don't try to go near the player all too much. (And they're too big in this specific case anyway) Also, before vexes spawn, players can easily hide next to each shop.

Declined

Status
Not open for further replies.