Solitude - Questions answered

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score

Shinyshark

Professional innuendo creator/finder.
Reaction score
I don't know why everyone is complaining about it being 6 hours long, the teaser server was incredibly small so 30 minutes fit that map size, as does this death-ban time with the current map size. I mean, I would understand if it was 6 hours on a relatively small map such as 2500x2500, but 5200x5200.. You are barely going to see anyone for the majority of the time, and when you do, who cares? It's only a few hours and you can easily pass the time by doing something else.

I mean, the people complaining about 6 hours are just over-reacting, the death-ban times are fair and if you are honestly going to complain about 6 hours then you shouldn't die or shouldn't play.
I know why people are complaining that it is six hours. It's mainly because when you die, you are banned for 25% of the day. Normally you sleep about 6 hours, so you're up for about 75% of the day. Some people aren't allowed to play on the computer for a long time. If they die, they are basically done playing Solitude even if they wanted to.

If you like the six hour ban, that is fine, but I don't want to see you complain about it.

cheatyface

Reaction score
If you can't handle some mobs, start making a dirt wall between you and them.

And really, 6 hours isn't bad at all. For someone like me, who'll have limited time to spend on the server anyway, it makes dying mean I can't play till tomorrow. A significant improvement over the previous 24 hour death bans, where dying later in the session meant not playing tomorrow.
I believe in the very first Solitude you only had 2 lives and that was it (there may or may not have also been a 24 hour wait between them, or at least a wait of some length, I don't remember). The teaser server map was tiny, hence a 30 minute death ban. 6 hours for a map of this size is fine, imo.

Think of it this way; if the wait is too long for you, use it as motivation to be more cautious and efficient in your game play so you don't die. Alternatively; if there's anyone you've got a grudge against, be it from them killing you, looting your base, etc., get them and make them suffer through the wait.

But really, unless your spawning circumstances are incredibly unfortunate, or you're just reckless, not resourceful, and aren't smart about your decisions, odds are you're not going to be dying all that often. I, personally, am quite pleased to see it's only 6 hours as I was expecting the full 24 again, but that's just me. Considering the time was so short on the teaser and we grew used to dying more often and a smaller map there, I can understand the frustration of it not only being only ~2 hours.
You all have a very good point but keep in mind they have buffed mobs so much since the last solitude.
Mobs that can't hit you aren't going to do any damage. Bring a stack of dirt, be resourceful. Shit happens, but most of the time it's preventable.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Donor
Reaction score
Why not let the people of Blocktopia actually vote for a deathban? Mostly everyone will be happy (atleast the majority)

It's solitude, it isn't supposed to be "easy" for those who can't handle their shit.. I could probably see people complaining that the death ban, if reduced down to an hour or so, is too short because the players just re-spawn and kill them, or they'll find something to complain about. Rather than moan about in the thread, why don't the users who dislike this length of the death-ban do something resourceful such as create a petition to try and win over the directors or even create a PM with a director.

TubaRiver

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
Because the government knows whats better for you

lol aint that the lie of the century.

Anywho, just leave the deathban as it has already been decided. 6 hours seems suitable enough time to allow people to re-populate after murdering those who endanger their towns, and short enough time to allow people to continue playing for the fun of the server.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Donor
Reaction score
Why not let the people of Blocktopia actually vote for a deathban? Mostly everyone will be happy (atleast the majority)

It's solitude, it isn't supposed to be "easy" for those who can't handle their shit.. I could probably see people complaining that the death ban, if reduced down to an hour or so, is too short because the players just re-spawn and kill them, or they'll find something to complain about. Rather than moan about in the thread, why don't the users who dislike this length of the death-ban do something resourceful such as create a petition to try and win over the directors or even create a PM with a director.
Nah, i'll just let the server flop

cheers

Okay.

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
It quite obvious with a longer deathban the playerbase will be lower, that's all I'm saying.

A say 3 hour deathban would make room for more players, and quite honestly - I like playing with a good amount of people (Even if it is solitude it's fun to run into people)

Danni122112

The Drunk
Controller
Donor
AoD Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
It quite obvious with a longer deathban the playerbase will be lower, that's all I'm saying.

A say 3 hour deathban would make room for more players, and quite honestly - I like playing with a good amount of people (Even if it is solitude it's fun to run into people)
You make it sound like every one is gonna die... D:

SalientGorilla

The Brutal Create Dictator
Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been said but, the death penalty has gone down from what I believe Insta-perma-ban then to Two lives with 24 hour death bans, then perma-death-ban and now to I believe, unlimited lives, but 6 hour bans. To be fair, this is a big improvement since people complained about the long death bans. They have knocked it down by 18 HOURS. Surely, that's enough?

Edit: I think it also adds a slight urge to make players become closer since groups survive, not solo and adds in a way, tactics.

cheatyface

Reaction score
6 hours takes you out of the game - as it is supposed to. You no longer know what's going on, what'll change when you get back - anything could've happened. Unless you plan to die every 6 hours, this shouldn't be a big problem at all. When you have 1 life in Megaman you're much more careful, aren't you?
Megaman? Careful? If I had a gun attached to my hand and could radio for a robot dog, you'd have to be careful around me.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
When you have 1 life in Megaman you're much more careful, aren't you?
I'm not kidding, when you have 5 lives in Megaman you might not pay attention to the spikes. When you have 1 you're treading carefully all "oh shit mang there's an enemy gotta do the windy thing"
I got 1 funny rating and 1 sarcastic reply so I have to post this again to make sure people get it

JayApple

Reaction score
Ok, I said I was going to do dis. The spawning spots are fucking stupid. It would take hours to get out of the wasteland, and the only way to get proper directions to the actual city is by people who know? ( It's harder than you think when they're only typing directions) Can we have like a map for Solitude? That would be really nice and a lot more helpful. So I won't be raging about another server. Pls.

77thShad

Ayy lmao
Reaction score
Ok, I said I was going to do dis. The spawning spots are fucking stupid. It would take hours to get out of the wasteland, and the only way to get proper directions to the actual city is by people who know? ( It's harder than you think when they're only typing directions) Can we have like a map for Solitude? That would be really nice and a lot more helpful. So I won't be raging about another server. Pls.
A map would be so handy omg yes. Even if it only had roads/cities. Most of the time I'm just running in one direction not knowing if I am in the top right/left or bottom right/left, or if I'm in the middle somewhere.