They Are Among Us [Game Complete!]

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Also this makes no sense, if it was some other role doing it and not fog lying to try and feign importance:

a) the role would be replace items upon death and/or lynch so it wouldn't be stealing your items anyway

b) surely fog would have been notified this was used on him if it was an actual day steal/switch ability and had nothing to do with his death.

It would be terrible game design otherwise.
a) not necessarily, it could be a day ability that only comes into effect at the end of the day, and thats a reasonable role imo

b) it could easily only notify players of this at the end of the day

and neither of those possibilities would be bad game design

Imagine actually not letting inf respond first, and yes... the socket is gone, that wasn't my doing that was my predecessor and he did it immediately.
hm...

and also, did you lose any of your items?
Nope and nope
I do indeed have one of these items.
I have the fortune of having two items the Socket Wrench that inf both desperately wants and a safe, which can remove an item of mine from the game :)
?

so aqua is like scum confirmed (at least like 99%) at this point so thats good, this is probs mylo after all so if tim's report didnt get a lead i was gonna suggest we massclaim to find one, but i guess we dont need to anymore?

thats why i asked those two questions btw, to trap people into making a decision immediately about saying they didnt lose/gain an item so that they couldnt wait to see if tim had dirt on them and then try to explain it away

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
my theorycrafting and posturing do not go far beyond the realm of realism, because everything ive said has been realistic. you may disagree with my read on people, but that doesnt mean my opinions have been unrealistic. otherwise theyd have been wrong. and both of my opinions that you reference here were correct. you might say you personally think its an unlikely explanation for their behaviour, but that'd be our intuitions disagreeing on whats happening.
(altho obviously, just because my conclusion of them being town was right, doesnt mean my arguments for why were necessarily reasonable, but if you think they werent then point it out and explain why, because id disagree)

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
also i just realized aqua said pair disposed of the wrench immediately as in at game start? so i guess his response to my question isnt a lie (though technically i didnt ask if people lost items last night!!!), but he still said twice that he has (present tense) the socket wrench so he was fine to carry on lying about it and potentially wasting town actions getting it from him to build the alien detector

but like tim said it makes 0 sense and is therefore unlikely that pair decided to dispose of the wrench at game start, unless he's scum

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
but like tim said it makes 0 sense and is therefore unlikely that pair decided to dispose of the wrench at game start, unless he's scum
unless he's scum and was given info about item blueprints, enough info to decide that getting rid of the socket would be a good idea*

i mean either way it seems a reckless choice but pair being town makes it even more unlikely

but even if we ignore pair's decision, aqua's decision to lie about having the socket is enough to make him 99% scum in my eyes unless he comes up with a reasonable explanation

Aqua

Does anybody remember laughter?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Apologies for late response, was halfway thru typing when dad called

ok so pairjax was maf all along i guess huh good to know ;)
Oh shit you got me damn

e.g. mafia interfering with item transmission via driver roles/roleblocks, using their kill/steal to get the items they need to build something while stopping town from building anything useful

you're also assuming mafia don't have any of the alien detector items, which is incorrect since two of the items haven't been claimed and therefore scum has them and are lying about them. lying about your items in a massclaim is easy, it's not like we can find who's lying because 'your item sounds fake'
Not really. It's safe to assume there aren't more than 3 mafia therefore it would make a lot of sense for them to have preventative measures/steals. Like I say everyone in town could trade night 0 to prove their items, those who lied about their times would be weeded out or at the very least put in a small group with the 3 townies who were the victims of the 3 mafia abilities. We already have a day 0 lynch from whoever seemed scummiest, which after a massclaim (assuming that maf have scummy items that give them their ability) is more likely to be a maf as they have to lie about what items they have and we also have Tim who can visit a suspect and prove if they're telling the truth or lying.

Sure it's not completely free and town has to do some detective reasoning and some things could go wrong but it's still HEAVILY stacked in towns favour.
i think there's been one game ever in which this happened
If I remember correctly both tavern arcana and republic had day 0 massclaims I may be wrong but it's not as if it's an unheard of concept.

a good solution yes, though not the only one I will add
Dunno what this means, assume it's a typo rather than you taking over this game in some sort of mafia coup.

Eitherway I don't doubt there's more, your role just perfectly fits in that pool as opposed to it not fitting in with towns.

to steal items from mafia who probably have something to build
So we lynch them and get their items?

possibly also to act as another tim role, just as there were 2 night chat roles
give the hosts some credit man, the 2 night chats is a bit /unheard of/ but it does make sense if communication and cooperation are the main elements of the game. Your role does not.

RE making tim redundant: i can perform the same item check action that tim can yes, that doesnt make him redundant, it means we can target 2 people per night instead of 1, 1 instead of 0 if one of us is roleblocked.
So it makes town ridiculously overpowered and gives them free win? 2 night chats, a doc/cop role and 2 item investigative roles one which takes the items? Tim's role is already probably the best role in this game... why would they have an evens stronger version of it?

RE making town's cooperation redundant: i can also only target one player per night, i need 4 items to build it. how likely do you think it is that i'd have been able to singlehandedly build the alien detector without town being able to send items to one another, before the end of the game, bearing in mind 2 of the items i need are in scum's hands? town being able to give items doesnt make the process much easier, granted, but it does make it easier so that i dont necessarily have to target 4 separate people to get all the items i need once we've actually managed to get them in town's hands - e.g. if 2 or more separate town individuals have an item during a night (e.g if town starts with 1 and if town lynched maf who had one of the items, town all piled on that item to decrease chances of scum taking it, and therefore 1 random townie now has one of the items), we can have made a plan to give all items to x player, who i will then target.
Pretty damn quick? if town sent you their items and then you just stole from those who refused? Whilst also picking up items from those who who were lynched?

you potentially have 3 lives, doc, cow then your actual life. Assuming that mafia could/did target Erik immediately you still have a lot of safety, besides if you were to die we still have the inherent advantage of narrowing the pool of who could be mafia that we'd have without your role. After mafia spends 3 night kills on 2 people the game would be free. I'm also amazed you didn't suggest people claiming items day 0 if this was the truth.

again, youre assuming maf dont have thiefs/blockers/drivers/items-theyre-looking-for-themselves
Even when factoring them in town having them as well still gives town a distinct advantage.

first of all, you have no idea what my intent is behind asking that question
Never assumed intent, interesting how defensive you took that.

second of all, there is evidence of another thief/item-swapping role, as ive already said RE fog's items changing, so its fair for me to imply my cow may have been stolen
No there isn't, see my previous post.

im not worried either and im not sure where youre getting that from
Because you're refusing to be transparent about your current and new items and won't identify which of those were your starting items.

i have no idea what this means, or in what way you think ive been doing this
You like to bring attention to matters first hand by abrasively questioning people but won't go too far to give mafia insight into ur thoughts or anything that could harm the town.

my theorycrafting and posturing do not go far beyond the realm of realism, because everything ive said has been realistic. you may disagree with my read on people, but that doesnt mean my opinions have been unrealistic. otherwise theyd have been wrong. and both of my opinions that you reference here were correct. you might say you personally think its an unlikely explanation for their behaviour, but that'd be our intuitions disagreeing on whats happening.
You went on a 2 page rant trying to flesh out a niché scenario where the mafia have a blocker, despite the game centring around times rather than PR abilities most of which was badly articulated and confusing.

this is the one thing i will agree with you on. ive done a tragic job of being concise and communicating clearly this game, and i think i have made things far more confusing than necessary. i do disagree that ive contributed nothing productive though. contributing the gamebreaking town item is one example of something i contributed that im sure you agree is productive.
ur cute when ur modest <3

im not sure what this point is referring to, but we have power roles as well as items, so it only makes sense to consider both. not sure where your confidence of the game being 'run by items' comes from
So far we know we have a piece of permanent body armor that jumps from person to person, blue prints for a craftable ain't win item and a safe to lock away any item of my choosing (which I've just learnt is unstealable)

How is this not a game run by items?

and its hardly reasonable to say i jumped at the opportunity to lynch fog instead. i was one of two people (the other being pairjax) to start the wagon on fog, and i wasnt even close to being lynched at that point.
You changed ur vote quickly after Mars brought to attention you were voting pairjax

excuse me did you miss when i was spam posting and bolding my posts about my value to the town?
I'll go back and reread when the thread calms down a bit I guess. If I am mistaken here my opinion won't change but I apologise, in my defence, I was quite tired when reading the 36 pages of acronyms and nonsensical theories last night :(

Aqua

Mafia Host
Reaction score
anyways this entire argument feels biased and coming from an agenda to push on me rather than actually organically coming to the conclusion im scum. i dunno why it feels that way to me, but it reeks of it
probably because I have like a 90% accurate scum read on you every game we're in together

Aqua

Mafia Host
Reaction score
thats why i asked those two questions btw, to trap people into making a decision immediately about saying they didnt lose/gain an item so that they couldnt wait to see if tim had dirt on them and then try to explain it away
My answer never changed?

My items from the start of the game were the socket wrench and the safe, apparently at the start of the game (I found out after asking because pairjax asked in discord dm) pairjax yeeted the socket wrench in the safe.

Toooooo be fair I'm not gonna die on this hill, I planned to use this as a bait for leverage on inf but timdood is a fool who decided to not atleast let inf respond first before calling my bluff so here we are.

The wrench is fine, the item inside the safe doesn't get destroyed and I never claimed it did I just worded it so inf might infer that and I could bait more info on threat of deleting it. All the safe does is prevent the item inside from being stolen and can't be stolen itself.

It's multi-use in the fact I can replace the item inside it with another at any point.

that's my class. Since I trust Tim above all else I'll probably give him the safe containing the wrench tonight for safe keeping.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Not really. It's safe to assume there aren't more than 3 mafia therefore it would make a lot of sense for them to have preventative measures/steals. Like I say everyone in town could trade night 0 to prove their items, those who lied about their times would be weeded out or at the very least put in a small group with the 3 townies who were the victims of the 3 mafia abilities. We already have a day 0 lynch from whoever seemed scummiest, which after a massclaim (assuming that maf have scummy items that give them their ability) is more likely to be a maf as they have to lie about what items they have and we also have Tim who can visit a suspect and prove if they're telling the truth or lying.

Sure it's not completely free and town has to do some detective reasoning and some things could go wrong but it's still HEAVILY stacked in towns favour.
disagree, you're assuming maf can only interfere with 1 persons item transmission during the night, when they could interfere with several per night. additionally just because someone proves they had the items they said they did doesnt make them town either. so the pool wouldnt be likely to reduce significantly at all imo, and itd mean maf knows exactly where to a) get their items that they potentially need, as well as b) stop town from getting theirs, all the while not reducing the suspect pool by much at all, unless maf can only interfere with 1 townies item transmission per night, which is an odd assumption to make

neither of those games massclaimed day 0

in fact i dont think we've ever massclaimed day 0, the one i was thinking of was economy of madness and i think we did it day 1 actually?

Dunno what this means, assume it's a typo rather than you taking over this game in some sort of mafia coup.

Eitherway I don't doubt there's more, your role just perfectly fits in that pool as opposed to it not fitting in with towns.
it means 'yeah having a maf thief is 1 good solution, but there are others', e.g. maf driver like i said earlier

just because someones role can fit into x, doesnt mean it also cant fit into y, and doesnt mean it belongs to x. i fit into both town as well as maf. so if youre looking to scumread me do it without using my role unless you somehow know for a fact that maf has an item thief and town doesnt.

So we lynch them and get their items?
that assumes

a) majority of town decide to lynch the person who i want to steal from
b) the town get the item from the lynch pool instead of scum, which isnt a given

my role works around those two assumptions

give the hosts some credit man, the 2 night chats is a bit /unheard of/ but it does make sense if communication and cooperation are the main elements of the game. Your role does not.
two town thiefs isnt necessarily unreasonable at all, unless you somehow know the exact makeup of the mafia team. otherwise, you cant be sure whether its reasonable or not.

So it makes town ridiculously overpowered and gives them free win? 2 night chats, a doc/cop role and 2 item investigative roles one which takes the items? Tim's role is already probably the best role in this game... why would they have an evens stronger version of it?
again youre talking like you know what roles the maf has. you cant say two town thiefs is OP when for all you know the maf's roles make it at least somewhat balanced, using roles like i mentioned earlier. giving them a 'free win' is obviously not the case. youre once again assuming a) the makeup of the maf team, and b) the attitude of town that its safe to massclaim items bearing in mind the many possibilities of the maf roles. neither of which are safe to assume

Pretty damn quick? if town sent you their items and then you just stole from those who refused? Whilst also picking up items from those who who were lynched?

you potentially have 3 lives, doc, cow then your actual life. Assuming that mafia could/did target Erik immediately you still have a lot of safety, besides if you were to die we still have the inherent advantage of narrowing the pool of who could be mafia that we'd have without your role. After mafia spends 3 night kills on 2 people the game would be free.
town sending me their items not only means i need to be trusted by all town first, but i also need to claim my role. that means i can be blocked and thus not be able to steal anything, and the maf can potentially steal items from me that town said publicly they were giving to me. again, youre making too many assumptions about what maf can and cant do

I'm also amazed you didn't suggest people claiming items day 0 if this was the truth.
because of all the many reasons ive given to you already why it could easily be the wrong decision for town

if maf have measures against town transmitting items sucessfully, then massclaiming items not only could not be useful for town, but lead to maf getting a powerful item that they need to build

Even when factoring them in town having them as well still gives town a distinct advantage.
already refuted this

Never assumed intent, interesting how defensive you took that.
yeah i think i misinterpreted your post at that point when you said i was worried, though later realized and then never deleted that first bit

No there isn't, see my previous post.
i disagree with your previous post

Because you're refusing to be transparent about your current and new items and won't identify which of those were your starting items.
i already explained that im not worried about dying but about maf having a separate item thief role

You went on a 2 page rant trying to flesh out a niché scenario where the mafia have a blocker, despite the game centring around times rather than PR abilities most of which was badly articulated and confusing.
not sure whats unrealistic about maf having a blocker?

although the details of my blocker theory (assuming youre talking about the one RE erik dying and UNU being maf/town) were flawed and i retracted it all later on

besides, if you think making a mistake like that makes im mafia then prepare to scumread me literally every game because im human and will make mistakes if im town sometimes. sure if i kept making more than usual or not backing down on them even after it was pointed out they didnt make sense, id agree thatd be strange, but thats not what happened this game

So far we know we have a piece of permanent body armor that jumps from person to person, blue prints for a craftable ain't win item and a safe to lock away any item of my choosing (which I've just learnt is unstealable)

How is this not a game run by items?
by 'run by items' i thought you meant 'instead of PRs' since you seem to be dismissive about PRs in this game. just because the game has items playing a significant part doesnt mean there arent also maf PRs also playing a significant part, is what my point was

You changed ur vote quickly after Mars brought to attention you were voting pairjax
but before that point i'd already publicly said that i townread pair now and wanted to vote for fog.

My answer never changed?
yeah i know, i realized that after and said so

Toooooo be fair I'm not gonna die on this hill, I planned to use this as a bait for leverage on inf but timdood is a fool who decided to not atleast let inf respond first before calling my bluff so here we are.

The wrench is fine, the item inside the safe doesn't get destroyed and I never claimed it did I just worded it so inf might infer that and I could bait more info on threat of deleting it. All the safe does is prevent the item inside from being stolen and can't be stolen itself.
can you explain in a new way why you worded it like that, because i dont get this at all

Aqua

Mafia Host
Reaction score
disagree, you're assuming maf can only interfere with 1 persons item transmission during the night, when they could interfere with several per night. additionally just because someone proves they had the items they said they did doesnt make them town either. so the pool wouldnt be likely to reduce significantly at all imo, and itd mean maf knows exactly where to a) get their items that they potentially need, as well as b) stop town from getting theirs, all the while not reducing the suspect pool by much at all, unless maf can only interfere with 1 townies item transmission per night, which is an odd assumption to make

...Ok but we can craft an item that makes town win instantly. If they don't lie they lose?

Besides it's fair to assume maf only have 1 pr each so alongside the night kill they have 3 potential item block prs. meaning as long as people were truthful it would limit 6 people (assuming there isn't a 3rd party) to being potentially mafia. (altho I'd assume the mafia night kill counts as one of their pr's).

just because someones role can fit into x, doesnt mean it also cant fit into y, and doesnt mean it belongs to x. i fit into both town as well as maf. so if youre looking to scumread me do it without using my role unless you somehow know for a fact that maf has an item thief and town doesnt.
Sure but we know there IS a thief role. I'm not saying maf has to have one, I'm saying it's extremely unlikely town has one. I do not know if you are maf, it's also quite possible you are 3rd party (which with a unique mechanic such as items seems like it would definitely be present in this game.)

i already explained that im not worried about dying but about maf having a separate item thief role
town sending me their items not only means i need to be trusted by all town first, but i also need to claim my role. that means i can be blocked and thus not be able to steal anything, and the maf can potentially steal items from me that town said publicly they were giving to me. again, youre making too many assumptions about what maf can and cant do
So... we have 0 evidence so far that a blocker or another thief (that can steal/swap prior to death) exists in the game.

If a blocker existed someone would have claimed to have been blocked by now.

If another thief existed someone would have claimed to have been stolen from by now.

Stop acting as if this is day 0 when it's day 2.

already refuted this
When?

not sure whats unrealistic about maf having a blocker?

I mean a) they don't
b) this is a closed set up wherein seems there's only been 5 town prs with most getting their ability form items. (and I'm not even sure if all 5 of said prs don't rely on items.) I think there are more valuable mafia roles such as thief or roadblock as suggested that would more likely be implemented.

again youre talking like you know what roles the maf has. you cant say two town thiefs is OP when for all you know the maf's roles make it at least somewhat balanced, using roles like i mentioned earlier. giving them a 'free win' is obviously not the case. youre once again assuming a) the makeup of the maf team, and b) the attitude of town that its safe to massclaim items bearing in mind the many possibilities of the maf roles. neither of which are safe to assume
What do you think the maf roles could possibly be to balance out the town? Why not use some of that creative thinking you were throwing about earlier to hypothesize this scenario?

Also I've never assumed the attitude of the town? I'm giving a hypothetical scenario, one which you'd think the game hosts would have thought of prior to hosting. Even if it didn't happen day 0 we, right now, can still make clear what we need to do to win. Besides your fear that mafia may also have an item they can craft is entirely as unfounded as the thought that town could massclaim at some point of the game. The point is it's a hypothetical that should not be ignored.

True which is why I'd have suggested sending them to two separate people day 0 who were uncc'd town positions. One gets the bulletproof vest (cow), the other gets doc if the doc fails we have a big lead and if the bulletproof vest fails we have a big lead. We have identified which 3-6 aren't complying and we weed them out based on vibes and information gathered throughout.

It relies a lot on trust but unless there are hidden mechanics or unexplained prs (such as a block without a notification) which seem fairly unlikely it's got the most chance of success.

by 'run by items' i thought you meant 'instead of PRs' since you seem to be dismissive about PRs in this game. just because the game has items playing a significant part doesnt mean there arent also maf PRs also playing a significant part, is what my point was
I'm not dismissive of mafia having pr's, I just think it's far more likely based on what we know of the game that their pr's either/both are designed specifically around items or are items themselves.

Aqua

Mafia Host
Reaction score
can you explain in a new way why you worded it like that, because i dont get this at all
Dude I had such big brain convoluted plan into baiting you into thinking I had an item to destroy the item you needed in order to force ur hand and reveal more info you have no idea, tiny brain Tim actually ruined everything :(

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
...Ok but we can craft an item that makes town win instantly. If they don't lie they lose?
yes, thats true, if we do manage to make it by massclaiming items, we win and they lose, but a) like i said, theres all sorts of things to be concerned about which could stop us from being able to make it, and b) they may be able to not only stop us being able to make it via item claiming like youre suggesting, but be able to make something else themselves, putting us at a disadvantage

Besides it's fair to assume maf only have 1 pr each so alongside the night kill they have 3 potential item block prs. meaning as long as people were truthful it would limit 6 people (assuming there isn't a 3rd party) to being potentially mafia. (altho I'd assume the mafia night kill counts as one of their pr's).
where are you getting the "it would limit 5 people to being potentially mafia" from? there will be potentially 6 town in that pool yeah:

lets say for example the maf have a roleblocker, an item thief (two roles which imo they seem to have), and one they designate to do the kill.

if all of town did as youre suggesting with proving they have the items they have (which, by the way, i almost suggested doing myself, but realized all these flaws im pointing out while i was writing out the plan, which is why ive thought about all this before), then there's three opportunities there each night for someone's item to go unproveable.

a) the person/people (depending on how you distribute it, you could have each townie giving 1 item to another, or multiple giving it to the same etc) who were meant to give their item to the victim can now no longer prove they had the item they had, at least until the mafia holding the item is lynched
b) the person blocked can no longer prove the item they have
c) the person who was targetted for theft can no longer have the item proven either

everyone has 2 items, so to prove someone as not having any of the 4 alien detector items, we'd need to do this for 2 nights, so thats potentially 6 townies who are now in the pool of not being able to prove they didnt have one of the items. along with two or three maf who truly didnt have the items, disguising as being one of those 6 town who had been interfered. so the pool is of 9 players. there are 11 players in the game. so yeah, the pool really doesnt shrink much.

Sure but we know there IS a thief role. I'm not saying maf has to have one, I'm saying it's extremely unlikely town has one.
well i think your reasons for why its extremely unlikely town has one are wrong, and hopefully ive explained why properly

I do not know if you are maf, it's also quite possible you are 3rd party (which with a unique mechanic such as items seems like it would definitely be present in this game.)
it's most likely mylo. if you think i could be third party then look for someone who you think is definitely mafia. aka ask for a massclaim. and depending on your answer to what your 'plan' was about wording your safe in that weird way, i might be asking for one as well

So... we have 0 evidence so far that a blocker or another thief (that can steal/swap prior to death) exists in the game.

If a blocker existed someone would have claimed to have been blocked by now.

If another thief existed someone would have claimed to have been stolen from by now.

Stop acting as if this is day 0 when it's day 2.
first of all, your whole point of this is asking why i didnt suggest we massclaim items day 0 isnt it? in which case, even if you were right about there being no evidence of a blocker/thief role (which you arent), it was day 0, so that point wouldnt be valid because there wasnt any time for there to be evidence of it.

but to address you saying theres 0 evidence so far that a blocker/thief are in the game: on day 1, we had evidence that there could be another item thief-like role on top of my own. aka, fog's item. if you think fog somehow misread his item as needing an additional item to function then thats a possibility and im not denying it, but its also possible maf can choose someone to swap an item with during the day, and it happens at the end of the day. you said this is bad game design, i disagree - and ultimately it depends on whether the hosts agree with you or me. i can easily seeing them thinking its fine, because i think its fine. UNU didnt claim his items so we cant tell if it happened to him or not yesterday.

and yeah, there was noone coming forward saying they were blocked d1, but coming forward would mean revealing they are a PR on d1, because if youre blocked you dont get confirmation of being blocked in this game (i asked stranger earlier when i didnt receive any of skele's items), so the only way of knowing you are is if your action failed. therefore, claiming you were blocked reveals to anyone who knows that you dont get a block confirmation msg (aka, possibly the mafia blocker), that theyre PR. and claiming PR to the mafia d1 isnt necessarily going to happen. or the maf blocker may have even been blocked.

but that doesnt matter so much anyway, because ive already said i think i was blocked last night, because my action on skele didnt go through. so either skeles immune or i got blocked.

like, multiple times in our conversation ive explained town may not necessarily be at an advantage doing that

I mean a) they don't
b) this is a closed set up wherein seems there's only been 5 town prs with most getting their ability form items. (and I'm not even sure if all 5 of said prs don't rely on items.) I think there are more valuable mafia roles such as thief or roadblock as suggested that would more likely be implemented.
a) they could do
b) nobody gets their ability from their items except for foggy who started with the cow. even if they did, that doesnt mean the maf blocker cant get their block from their items? unless you mean their role would have to be linked to items somehow in which caseerik's role had 0 to do with items, so its not like maf having a role not linked to items would be an anomaly and not in fit with the rest of the setup or anything, so i dont see why its so unreasonable for me to think there could be a blocker when we havent seen 'all roles are linked to items' at all.

also idk what a roadblock is?

What do you think the maf roles could possibly be to balance out the town? Why not use some of that creative thinking you were throwing about earlier to hypothesize this scenario?
ive already said, blocker/driver(witch for ToS players)/item thief as examples

they could also have a powerful buildable item, just like town does, which needs 2 town thieves present to balance out to make it incredibly difficult for them to build it, because if you have just 1 thief and they happen to kill them n1, that makes it significantly easier for maf to build it.

Also I've never assumed the attitude of the town? I'm giving a hypothetical scenario, one which you'd think the game hosts would have thought of prior to hosting. Even if it didn't happen day 0 we, right now, can still make clear what we need to do to win.
you said it'd give the town a 'free win' if town had me as well as tim. to make it a free win, itd mean a) the mafia roles arent ones which can interfere, and b) the town all, somehow, come to the conclusion that the mafia roles cant interfere and so decide to massclaim items and use me/tim to easily build it. both those things need to happen to make it a 'free win'. so by you calling this game a free win youre assuming that the host believed both of those things would happen.

Besides your fear that mafia may also have an item they can craft is entirely as unfounded as the thought that town could massclaim at some point of the game.
im not sure what your point is. i never said the town arent likely to massclaim. im saying i think maf could have roles to counter town from easily winning in case they do massclaim. something you seem to be completely ignoring by insisting it was shocking that i didnt say we should all massclaim, as if its a given it would be best for town, when clearly it isnt. but im not sure if im addressing your point properly here because im not sure what your point is

The point is it's a hypothetical that should not be ignored.
ive not ignored it?

True which is why I'd have suggested sending them to two separate people day 0 who were uncc'd town positions. One gets the bulletproof vest (cow), the other gets doc if the doc fails we have a big lead and if the bulletproof vest fails we have a big lead. We have identified which 3-6 aren't complying and we weed them out based on vibes and information gathered throughout.

It relies a lot on trust but unless there are hidden mechanics or unexplained prs (such as a block without a notification) which seem fairly unlikely it's got the most chance of success.
first of all, youre acting like we'd know about the cow before we decided it was a good idea to massclaim. your justification for massclaim being a good idea is this idea of using the cow, but we cant have known about the cow unless we already decided claiming was a good idea, because otherwise fog wouldn't have claimed the cow.

second of all, youre assuming maf dont have an item thief - which is strange because you currently think its me - who can target one of those uncc town roles and take half the town's items in one night, stopping all of those people from proving themselves and possibly being able to build something for the maf.

so no, it wouldnt have the most chance of success, to our minds day 0. we knew literally nothing about the setup except for our own roles. we still dont know the maf roles for sure now.

and like i said earlier, itd leave us with possibly 9 'suspects' in the pool.

I'm not dismissive of mafia having pr's, I just think it's far more likely based on what we know of the game that their pr's either/both are designed specifically around items or are items themselves.
and in believing there's this pattern that all roles are designed around items, you're ignoring erik's role which had 0 to do with items.

Dude I had such big brain convoluted plan into baiting you into thinking I had an item to destroy the item you needed in order to force ur hand and reveal more info you have no idea, tiny brain Tim actually ruined everything :(
what? explain your plan in detail please because this makes 0 sense to me right now

you're scum tho.

Besides one of us is gonna get lynched today I feel and I'm a townie so we lose regardless. :)
theres 0 reason to potentially throw the game just because you 'feel' one of us is definitely going to get lynched today, when its easily possible that doesnt happen

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
couple tiny corrections and additions after i re-read my post

so the pool is of 9 players. there are 11 players in the game. so yeah, the pool really doesnt shrink much.
8 or 9*

or the maf blocker may have even been blocked.
or even a vanilla couldve been blocked and therefore not received confirmation.

in fact i think its likely UNU was blocked n1, if maf does have a blocker, since maf thought he was a cop role at that point. UNU's action was a day one, so he would've have known.

Aqua

Mafia Host
Reaction score
they may be able to not only stop us being able to make it via item claiming like youre suggesting, but be able to make something else themselves, putting us at a disadvantage
How does that put us at a disadvantage? Unless they have a thief role we can just trade all our items to 1 or more trusted players in safety. They can't get their items and the pool of people who could potentially be scum is thinned.

everyone has 2 items, so to prove someone as not having any of the 4 alien detector items, we'd need to do this for 2 nights, so thats potentially 6 townies who are now in the pool of not being able to prove they didnt have one of the items. along with two or three maf who truly didnt have the items, disguising as being one of those 6 town who had been interfered. so the pool is of 9 players. there are 11 players in the game. so yeah, the pool really doesnt shrink much.
So the 3 mafia are now consistently outted giving further suspicion to them. The only way to blend in would be to target the same people again. In the meantime the cop can investigate, Tim can investigate, you can steal items from those within that pool. We'd be at such an advantage dude.

Also obviously we wouldn't know at the time but if you genuinely aren't mafia (therefore a townie or more likely a 3rd party) then mafia DO NOT have a thief role. Nobody other than your targets have had their items stolen. So unless you just slipped why are you factoring in a thief role into the mafia's prs?

ive already said, blocker/driver(witch for ToS players)/item thief as examples
OK but we know they don't have any of those or at the very least haven't used them (tho this is incredibly unlikely).

they could also have a powerful buildable item, just like town does, which needs 2 town thieves present to balance out to make it incredibly difficult for them to build it, because if you have just 1 thief and they happen to kill them n1, that makes it significantly easier for maf to build it.
So there are 11 players, let's assume 3 are mafia. We have a cop who has a 3/11 chance starting n0 to identify scum. We have an item observer who can see the name of the items they carry (so if they had a powerful buildable item it would likely be named similarly to yours.), and we have a thief who steals all their items thus identifying them in the process.

Now as you know I'm bad at maths but even I know that's already insane odds for a mafia victory, especially considering a day 0 townie lynch and a night 0 townie kill.

Like if you, Tim and Erik are all telling the truth then there's an equal number of investigative roles as there are mafia...

Like what the fuck???

that's already insanely stacked in towns favour... then you incorporate the other pr roles, the lynch loot mechanic and the fact that, as we know, there isn't another night steal/night block(?).

If you are town, it's a free win.

and yeah, there was noone coming forward saying they were blocked d1, but coming forward would mean revealing they are a PR on d1, because if youre blocked you dont get confirmation of being blocked in this game (i asked stranger earlier when i didnt receive any of skele's items), so the only way of knowing you are is if your action failed. therefore, claiming you were blocked reveals to anyone who knows that you dont get a block confirmation msg (aka, possibly the mafia blocker), that theyre PR. and claiming PR to the mafia d1 isnt necessarily going to happen. or the maf blocker may have even been blocked.

but that doesnt matter so much anyway, because ive already said i think i was blocked last night, because my action on skele didnt go through. so either skeles immune or i got blocked.
So, I'll admit I missed this post and, if you're telling the truth, this does likely suggest there is a block.

If this is true I'm surprised you didn't ellaborate further earlier but I can get past that, I'm more annoyed that stranger would reveal that pretty damn important piece of information about game mechanics without telling all the players, obviously they can't now and you can't copy and paste their dm so props to the host for fucking up I guess :// (unless you just infered it from what they said)

Well Good Skele this is your time to join in with Aqua & Inffy's argue hour, do you know anything about inffy being blocked?

and to anybody else who was blocked but didn't come forward, this is the best time so do it.

If there is a block it still doesn't clear your name and it still doesn't explain the imbalances between town and mafia unless the other mafia roles are far more overpowered. Nor the lack of another night steal.

like, multiple times in our conversation ive explained town may not necessarily be at an advantage doing that
and I've refuted all your refutes, I can't even remember what point this was that you/I was refuting, too many damn refutes!

b) nobody gets their ability from their items except for foggy who started with the cow. even if they did, that doesnt mean the maf blocker cant get their block from their items? unless you mean their role would have to be linked to items somehow in which caseerik's role had 0 to do with items, so its not like maf having a role not linked to items would be an anomaly and not in fit with the rest of the setup or anything, so i dont see why its so unreasonable for me to think there could be a blocker when we havent seen 'all roles are linked to items' at all.
I get my ability from my item too. It's not unreasonable to believe it's a trend and it's certainly not unreasonable to think that a theme or a trend would run through the design of both the mafia and the towns people.

I'm not saying mafia can't have normal pr's but it is pretty damn likely IMO that they will also get something from items whether that be crafting an item or having an active item like a net gun or poison or something thematic.

first of all, youre acting like we'd know about the cow before we decided it was a good idea to massclaim. your justification for massclaim being a good idea is this idea of using the cow, but we cant have known about the cow unless we already decided claiming was a good idea, because otherwise fog wouldn't have claimed the cow.
I'm not hypothesising how a massclaim would or should take place, I'm hypothesising how the game would go if it did and from what we know so far if you're telling the truth it would be an easy win for town due to our 2.5 investigative abilities and our 1.5 protection roles.

second of all, youre assuming maf dont have an item thief - which is strange because you currently think its me - who can target one of those uncc town roles and take half the town's items in one night, stopping all of those people from proving themselves and possibly being able to build something for the maf.
There is one item thief in the game.

If maf has an item thief then you are their item thief.

so no, it wouldnt have the most chance of success, to our minds day 0. we knew literally nothing about the setup except for our own roles. we still dont know the maf roles for sure now.

this whole argument criticising my massclaim hypothesis is a complete strawman and you know it btw

it was an example toshowcase hwo unbalanced the game would be if it occured. Just because it hasn't/would never doesn't ignore the fact that your role is imbalanced if townsided, proves there is no mafia thief and doesn't fit in with the theme of the other town prs/game.

nopety nope friend

and in believing there's this pattern that all roles are designed around items, you're ignoring erik's role which had 0 to do with items.
and your ignoring your role, tim's role, fog's item and my item friend.

what? explain your plan in detail please because this makes 0 sense to me right now
It's irrelevant and it hurts too much man.

theres 0 reason to potentially throw the game just because you 'feel' one of us is definitely going to get lynched today, when its easily possible that doesnt happen
Hey man I'm salty Tim ruined my plan so tell you what, if you admit to being 3rd party I'll do everything in my power to help you win just to spite him x

Aqua

Mafia Host
Reaction score
in fact i think its likely UNU was blocked n1, if maf does have a blocker, since maf thought he was a cop role at that point. UNU's action was a day one, so he would've have known.
Unu was dead night 1?

If you mean night 0 that's possible since the interactions a bit scuffed with him choosing someone at day then carrying out the conversation at night. I just find it really hard to believe there isn't a blocked notification or that the host wouldn't reveal this information in the game but would tell you privately upon you asking...

I don't know stranger but I do know alisha and I'd hope she'd know not to do that :// I hate meta shit like this

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
How does that put us at a disadvantage?
how does the mafia building a powerful item put us at a disadvantage? by doing exactly that

if we cant build our thing but they can build theirs, that puts us at a disadvantage, assuming their item is useful for them and not for us (or more useful for them than it is for us)

How does that put us at a disadvantage? Unless they have a thief role we can just trade all our items to 1 or more trusted players in safety. They can't get their items and the pool of people who could potentially be scum is thinned.
one, if maf can block players from giving items, they can prevent us from trading significant items "in safety", and they can kill people who have the items they need to build what they want to build.

additionally, you say "unless they have a thief role" - exactly, they could have a thief role. and this possibility has always been there. on day 0 anything was possible, including that item thief role. on d1, like i said, fog's items were potentially messed with d0, so we had reason to think there might be one even more so, and the lack of people reporting items missing during night didnt suggest there was no maf thief to me because it made sense it was a day one, due to fog's items being messed with during the day. today its still possible - whilst we havent got any evidence of a theft d1, they couldve a) been inactive and not sent an action (at this point all of my suspects are relatively inactive so this isnt unlikely), b) targetted UNU, who didnt claim his items to us so we dont know whether his items were switched or not.

you say the pool of people is thinned, but ive already addressed that - its likely it wont be thinned significantly, if at all.

So the 3 mafia are now consistently outted giving further suspicion to them. The only way to blend in would be to target the same people again.
thats not true.

in order to be cleared about not hiding the blueprint items, you need to show that you sent 2 of your items to someone else. if you sent only 1 of them, it doesnt prove your 2nd item isnt the blueprint one.

over two nights, if maf targets different townies each time, those 6 townies they target have only showed 1 of their items. for night 3 onwards, yeah, blending in becomes harder, and the pool begins to shrink, and from hereon maf can only keep the pool at 6 players (with 3 of them being mafia), as long as they keep targeting the same people. but a pool of 6 by night 3 is not significant at all, bearing in mind we just finished night 2 and there are 7 of us alive. given its not unlikely for the mafia to be able to target those same players and make the pool a pool of 6, this plan becomes not worth the risks of giving the mafia a list of who to target to build something that benefits them.

In the meantime the cop can investigate, Tim can investigate, you can steal items from those within that pool. We'd be at such an advantage dude.
again, not necessarily, it depends on what the maf PRs are and what the maf can build.

Also obviously we wouldn't know at the time but if you genuinely aren't mafia (therefore a townie or more likely a 3rd party) then mafia DO NOT have a thief role. Nobody other than your targets have had their items stolen. So unless you just slipped why are you factoring in a thief role into the mafia's prs?
already spoken about this above

OK but we know they don't have any of those or at the very least haven't used them (tho this is incredibly unlikely).
except we don't. there could easily be a blocker. there could easily be a driver who hasnt targetted a night PR yet. there could easily be the day item thief i spoke about.

So there are 11 players, let's assume 3 are mafia. We have a cop who has a 3/11 chance starting n0 to identify scum. We have an item observer who can see the name of the items they carry (so if they had a powerful buildable item it would likely be named similarly to yours.), and we have a thief who steals all their items thus identifying them in the process.

Now as you know I'm bad at maths but even I know that's already insane odds for a mafia victory, especially considering a day 0 townie lynch and a night 0 townie kill.

Like if you, Tim and Erik are all telling the truth then there's an equal number of investigative roles as there are mafia...

Like what the fuck???

that's already insanely stacked in towns favour... then you incorporate the other pr roles, the lynch loot mechanic and the fact that, as we know, there isn't another night steal/night block(?).

If you are town, it's a free win.
again you're acting like you know what the maf PRs are. if you look at any setup and just look at the town roles it can look townsided because youre not looking at the scum roles that exist to counter them. there are likely maf PRs to counter our roles. youre also acting like the cop, myself and tim will all target the right people at the right time (maf can transfer items to one another dont forget, so whoever is holding items can be changed to the person least suspected, or even given to a townie to frame them, with a plan to take the item back during the day before theyre lynched so that it doesnt get into towns hands after theyre lynched, if the maf do have an item thief), not get blocked, and be trusted when we reveal information. it's not a "free win" by any means - not necessarily anyway. if it is, we cant be sure of that.

and again, we dont know there isnt another thief, or blocker.

Nor the lack of another night steal.
again, day steal could be possible

and I've refuted all your refutes
if you truly think that then i dont think i can say anything else that will change your mind.

I get my ability from my item too. It's not unreasonable to believe it's a trend and it's certainly not unreasonable to think that a theme or a trend would run through the design of both the mafia and the towns people.

I'm not saying mafia can't have normal pr's but it is pretty damn likely IMO that they will also get something from items whether that be crafting an item or having an active item like a net gun or poison or something thematic.
true your role does that as well, so thats two roles. and i agree its a reasonable assumption that maf may have a role that relies on/links to items as well. however, your point was that its unlikely maf have a blocker, because the maf's roles should link to items, and blocker doesn't. my point is that we clearly don't have a strict theme of 'all PR roles must link to items', because erik doesn't fit that, so its not reasonable to believe its unlikely mafia will have a blocker on the basis that its not a role that links to items.

I'm not hypothesising how a massclaim would or should take place, I'm hypothesising how the game would go if it did and from what we know so far if you're telling the truth it would be an easy win for town due to our 2.5 investigative abilities and our 1.5 protection roles.
again, youre making assumptions about what the maf can/can't do in the event we massclaim. i wont repeat it all again but the possibilities about what maf can do to counter it are written in my posts already.

There is one item thief in the game.

If maf has an item thief then you are their item thief.
not necessarily, again.

this whole argument criticising my massclaim hypothesis is a complete strawman and you know it btw

it was an example toshowcase hwo unbalanced the game would be if it occured. Just because it hasn't/would never doesn't ignore the fact that your role is imbalanced if townsided, proves there is no mafia thief and doesn't fit in with the theme of the other town prs/game.
there's nothing strawman about my argument at all.

i dont understand your point for the second part of this quote. you showed an example of how unbalanced it would be, yes, and i showed how youre making assumptions and that its perfectly possible that it wouldnt be as unbalanced as youre saying it would be.

as far as im concerned ive already refuted your argument that my role is definitely unbalanced if townsided. ive also already explained there could be a mafia thief above, and i have no idea what you mean by not fitting the 'theme' of the other town prs/game?

nopety nope friend
yeppity yep friend, up until night 3, and then, as i mentioned in this post already, it could easily leave us with 6! ... with 5 of us alive

and your ignoring your role, tim's role, fog's item and my item friend.
except im not since ive addressed why all of our roles can exist as town ones and remain balanced. im not gonna repeat them, my arguments are there if you want to read them.

It's irrelevant and it hurts too much man.
its not irrelevant at all. my read on you is basically dependant on this rn since to me it looks like complete BS, so unless you give me an actual idea of what your 'plan' supposedly was - which is the only way youre going to change mine, and most likely every other townie's mind - im going to end up voting you today.

Hey man I'm salty Tim ruined my plan so tell you what, if you admit to being 3rd party I'll do everything in my power to help you win just to spite him x
"oh hey guys we spent like two weeks invested in this game and then aqua subbed in last minute and threw the game for town because he was salty"

Just because it hasn't/would never occur doesn't mean you can ignore*
still no idea what you meant there.

Unu was dead night 1?

If you mean night 0 that's possible since the interactions a bit scuffed with him choosing someone at day then carrying out the conversation at night. I just find it really hard to believe there isn't a blocked notification or that the host wouldn't reveal this information in the game but would tell you privately upon you asking...

I don't know stranger but I do know alisha and I'd hope she'd know not to do that :// I hate meta shit like this
night 0 isn't a thing in mafia games.

and i mean, you can literally ask stranger this same question in PM yourself?

--

anyways, im done having this argument with you because i think we're just going in circles, and i dont think anything else i say will change your mind on whether its a good idea to massclaim or whether my role is unbalanced or not, if i havent already. if you respond again thats fine but im not gonna respond back because idont want to flood the thread with walls of arguments when ive imo already made my points clear and i still stand by them 100%.

regardless of what your opinion is of whether its ok to massclaim, even if you still disagree with me, ultimately the only thing that matters for the game is whether you think i believe what im saying and think i was doing whats best for town. so try to work that out i guess.

RE my role being unbalanced, i mean, again, dont think i can change your mind with anything i havent said already.

anyway, either explain your plan, and then we can go to a massclaim if it makes any sense at all, or... give up and get lynched i guess? since your excuse of 'ok so my safe doesnt ACTUALLY do what i said it does now that its been made clear i lied... the reason i lied was because of a reason i dont want to say' isnt gonna sway anybody at all