Cooking... good?

• Yes

Votes: 27 93.1%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

torty

Reaction score
Ah, bonjour ma petit fleurs. Today is a great day for you avid chefs out there.

Cooking is a creative skill which is usually down played due to the necessity of it. Unlike art or music, it is a necessary skill people can learn to make their lives, oh so much easier. However, cooking, is an artform. From the largest, boldest cakes to the finest most delicate meat dishes. It can be a beautiful form of work, which is also damn tasty.

So, I put it to you, the people of blocktopia, show off your culinary skills, your fine cuisine and your recipe ideas!

Here are the things we can focus upon:
  1. Share recipes with the community and rate each one on appearance, creativity and taste.
  2. Post pictures of your work, and let our mouth's water.
  3. Post videos of demos like making cakes or cooking delicious 3 course meals!
  4. Have fun and learn new things to make!
Even if you can only cook basic foods, let us know what you can do, and how we can help to improve it. I am no cook myself, but I love to bake and create food for friends and family. As I'm going to university soon, and moving out on my own, I would love to learn some new bright cooking ideas from everyone, to make it easier for myself aswell as others.

From the finest of french cuisine, to the simplest of BBQ's.
I bid you Farewell,
And bon appétit.

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
EEHEEHEEHEE. This is so my thread.

Especially since the career I am choosing is a culinary chef. C:

So I went running to find/show of my favorite recipe in the entire hellbrojeff world which is Penne Pasta with Spinach & Tomatoes.

Recipe for Penne Spinach Tomatoes

Ingredients:
8 oz Penne Pasta
3 oz chooped Pancetta ((Italian-style bacon))
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 cups fresh Baby Spinach Leaves
1 large or 2 small cloves of Garlic, minced
¼​
cup Red Wine Vinegar
⅓​
cups of halved Grape/Cherry Tomatoes
⅓ grated Parmesan Cheese​

Video for srs in the neartime future. You've sparked my interest torty.​

torty

Reaction score
It's good to see interest :D and definitely make videos and demos, I will try a baking one soon, more of my ugly face unfortunately haha. Trap Wolf

How about this:

Baked Spring Onion and Chili Salmon Fillets with Pasta
(My own recipe)

Diffculty rating: Moderately Simple

Ingredients: (Serves 1)

Salmon Fillets (1-2)
Finely chopped sping onion (a handfull)
Finely chopped red chilli (a handfull)
Fresh spaghetti (100g)
Olive oil (1-2 teaspoon)
Salt
Pepper

Method:

1. Pre-prepare an oven at 190 degrees celcius.
  2. Pre-prepare a sacepan of water with a good helping of salt to the boil and allow to rest/simmer once done so.
  3. Prepare the Salmon with a 1 teaspoon oil covering, mixed with 1/2 of the finely chopped spring onion and chilli (chilli is not needed if you perfer a milder dish).
  4. Wrap the salmon in foil and pour any excess spring onion or chilli on top, then seal and place in the oven to cook for 20 minutes depending on thickness and how well you like it to be cooked.
  5. Wait for the salmon to cook, and take it out of the oven, allow it to rest somewhere warm for 5 minutes within the foil, so the flavours can soak in.
  6. Place fresh spaghetti in the saucepan and allow to simmer for 4 minutes, stir if necessary.
  7. Once the spaghetti has cooked, strain any excess liquid and add a dash of oil and black pepper and serve instantly.
  8. Place the Salmon on top and season it well with salt to excentuate flavour.
  9. Eat and enjoy!
A simple dish which can be quickly served aswell as quickly eaten! Recommended with a fresh dry white wine or a deep flavoursome red wine. Good to make with guests or the family as it does not lie heavy on the stomach and can be followed by a rich desert.

Sorry for no pictures, I'll upload some soon.

Bon appétit.

paceboys

Reaction score
I love cooking ^.^
I usually only cook breakfast food. I -may- post something...
im only 12, so what i do sucks compared to you guys. it still tastes good, but, yeeeah.

EDIT: Thanks for that like sir mr. torty sir.
EDIT2: Ok, here. I made this like, a year ago, for breakfast. I dont remember how, sorry.
be nice, i was 11. AND MY CAMERA REALLY SUCKS I KNOW SORRRYYYYY
yeeeah..... its.... yeeeah...
BUT LOOK AT THAT SWAGGER ORANGE JUICE

DKnucklehead

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Here is some stuff that I helped prepare for the catering company that I work with, prepared for a dinner party last night.

Picture 1: H'ordeuvres plate
Picture 2: Chicken filled with goat cheese with butter noodles, green beans, and microgreens.
Picture 3: Tiramisu

Also a bit of advice, don't use blue plates like those when you are plating, as blue acts as an appetite suppressant. These were the client's rentals, and we didn't have a choice.

DKnucklehead

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Damer_Flinn

Possibly :p

And the microgreens are what you see on top of the pasta. They're sprouts basically; underdeveloped plants that you'd normally use once they're fully grown, like celery, arugula, cabbage or something similar. So these leaves are very small compared to what they'd be if they were fully grown.

One of the microgreens that we used on the pasta were young broccoli leaves, which I had never heard about before then.

torty

Reaction score
Here is a video, as promised by myself.
Sorry for the terrible quality/editing/cutting, it was me rambling on more than I should and is filmed poorly by myself on my laptop webcam (totally proffesional).
I have terrible cold, so I apologise for my appearance and general voice if you cannot understand :p.
Also I'm doing the kitchen up at the moment alongside my dad, so it's in a bit of a state.

Today's dish:

Coffee time Chocolate cake.

A light generally dry choclate cake which is mainly used as a coffee/tea time cake. Ideal for when you have friends over (I know mine enjoy it)! Simple to make and quick to prepare. Can be made with an icing, that is for another date.

I recommend skipping a chunk in the middle, unless you want to hear me talk about food briefly, I start talking about curry for some reason :p

https://plus.google.com/u/0/114711010877026122640#114711010877026122640/posts
Then click on the video :)

Ingredients:

Flour (plain) 225g
Cocoa 50g
Nutmeg 1 teaspoon
Cinnamon 1 teaspoon
Baking Powder 2 teaspoon
Butter 100g
Sugar 200g
Salt Pinch
Dark chocolate (70%) Handfull broken up
Eggs 2 large
Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
Water 100 ml

COOKING TIME: 1 hour 15 minutes
180 degrees celcius (Gas mark 4)

Final Product :)

paceboys

Reaction score
Here is a video, as promised by myself.
Sorry for the terrible quality/editing/cutting, it was me rambling on more than I should and is filmed poorly by myself on my laptop webcam (totally proffesional).
I have terrible cold, so I apologise for my appearance and general voice if you cannot understand :p.
Also I'm doing the kitchen up at the moment alongside my dad, so it's in a bit of a state.

Today's dish:

Coffee time Chocolate cake.

A light generally dry choclate cake which is mainly used as a coffee/tea time cake. Ideal for when you have friends over (I know mine enjoy it)! Simple to make and quick to prepare. Can be made with an icing, that is for another date.

I recommend skipping a chunk in the middle, unless you want to hear me talk about food briefly, I start talking about curry for some reason :p

https://plus.google.com/u/0/114711010877026122640#114711010877026122640/posts
Then click on the video :)

Ingredients:

Flour (plain) 225g
Cocoa 50g
Nutmeg 1 teaspoon
Cinnamon 1 teaspoon
Baking Powder 2 teaspoon
Butter 100g
Sugar 200g
Salt Pinch
Dark chocolate (70%) Handfull broken up
Eggs 2 large
Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
Water 100 ml

COOKING TIME: 1 hour 15 minutes
180 degrees celcius (Gas mark 4)

Final Product :)

If you dont mind me asking, what nationality are ya? Your accent is freakin awesome.

DJJonosound

Ex CTNT/PTNT Op
Reaction score
Well, I do love cooking, and I found this particularly awesome recipe for Spaghetti with Meatballs that I made. (I can post pictures if you like) All I can say, is it is damn delicious and I highly recommend it.
Note it takes a llllllooooonnnnnggggg time to cook it... (simmering)
Serves 4
For the meatballs:
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 lb ground veal
3 slices of Italian bread soaked in milk or water then squeezed dry
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons of parsley, finely minced
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 cup grated Pecorino-Romano cheese
2 eggs
Vegetable oil.
For the pasta:
1/3 cup olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, halved
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 28 oz cans of plum tomatoes with puree, crushed
2 basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup of water
1 pound spaghetti
  1. Combine all ingredients for the meatballs, except vegetable oil, in a bowl.
  2. Gently knead the mixture with your hands without squeezing it.
  3. When all the ingredients are evenly combined shape it gently into balls about
  4. 1 1/ 2 to 2 inches in diameter.
  5. In a saute pan large enough to hold all the meatballs in a single layer, heat up enough vegetable oil to come 1/4 inch up the sides.
  6. Add the meatballs and place pan in oven pre-heated to 450 degrees and brown on all sides.
  7. Heat olive oil in a heavy pot over medium heat.
  8. Add garlic and onion and cook until onion is translucent.
  9. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt & pepper and water.
  10. Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer.
  11. Simmer for 45 minutes then add meatballs.
  12. Continue simmering for another 1/2 hour.
  13. While the sauce is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and the spaghetti.
  14. Cook uncovered over high heat until Al dente.
  15. Drain pasta, put back in pot add some of the sauce to the pot and mix it up. Dish out pasta spooning meatballs and remaining sauce over top.
(Credit to these people: http://www.italianchef.com/spaghetti-with-meatballs)
Another totally random one I thought of: (By meeee :D)
Ingredients:
1 Croissant
Maple syrup (The legit stuff from canada)

Method:
Remove the top off one of the ends of the croissant, and poke a hole down through most of the croissant, being careful not to poke a hole in the bottom.
Fill with maple syrup.
Delish.

torty

Reaction score
Wait... so can i post picture of the cuisine that i usually eat in here? or do i have to post recipes and stuff? because i really want to share pics of what i eat here x)
You can post anything cooking related, so you can post your pictures here of course :) Recipes are only optional, it's just there for when people want to try them out :)

Damer_Flinn

Resident Asha'man
Reaction score
Another totally random one I thought of: (By meeee :D)
Ingredients:
1 Croissant
Maple syrup (The legit stuff from canada)

Method:
Remove the top off one of the ends of the croissant, and poke a hole down through most of the croissant, being careful not to poke a hole in the bottom.
Fill with maple syrup.
Delish.
Totally not so random, and very similar:
It's probably common, but it's what yours made me think of straight away.

1 Apple (cored) (tart apples work best)
- Peanut Butter
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 stick
1 campfire :p

Method:
Put half the peanut butter on one opening of the apple. Fill with chocolate chips. Cover other side with peanut butter. Spear and roast.

Damer_Flinn

Resident Asha'man
Reaction score
Nope, learned it when I went camping in 6th grade.

Edit: And on that note, HoboPie
(got this one from my Uncle)

2 slices of bread
- pie filling
1 stick (forked)
1 campfire

Method:

Place the bread over the forked section of the stick and hold it over the fire until lightly toasted.
Spread pie filling on one side of a piece and cover with the other.
Return the "pie" to the forked stick and warm over the fire.