They Are Among Us [Game Complete!]

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
My role was given an annonymeous account called Sheriff X. In mafia sheriffs are town sided PR roles, often investigative, but apparently not always.
Ok, what I'm getting at here is that just because you know something, and have someone else agree with you by no means means that you are cleared.

Say for example I was mafia. And I wanted to claim something. I could talk to one of my mafia buddies and say, "hey, I'm going to claim this, just go ahead and corroborate this for me." And then yell at everybody when they're skeptical in a game about lying.

Unusual_Dood

Reaction score
Ok, what I'm getting at here is that just because you know something, and have someone else agree with you by no means means that you are cleared.
Say for example I was mafia. And I wanted to claim something. I could talk to one of my mafia buddies and say, "hey, I'm going to claim this, just go ahead and corroborate this for me."
Clearly you are missing out the fact that I would have to expose my entire mafia team for the plan to work out. Like it's weird that no one has even considered voting sessy despite she has to be mafia with your current sense of logic, yet can even be mafia while I am town, and this would give me the 1 day needed to confirm myself and keep town from digging their own grave.
And then yell at everybody when they're skeptical in a game about lying.
Find the flaws. Hints: 'yell', 'everybody'

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Clearly you are missing out the fact that I would have to expose my entire mafia team for the plan to work out. Like it's weird that no one has even considered voting sessy despite she has to be mafia with your current sense of logic, yet can even be mafia while I am town, and this would give me the 1 day needed to confirm myself and keep town from digging their own grave.

Find the flaws. Hints: 'yell', 'everybody'
That would be what would generally be considered "a gambit" a high risk/high reward all-in sort of play. And no, I'm not missing the fact that sessy would have to be mafia in that scenario (see: "talk to my mafia buddies").

And the reason I used the phrase "Yell at everybody" is because you're talking to both mars and I like we're stupid children because we're, again, skeptical in a game about lying. Which frankly would give me the impression that you're upset that people aren't just going along with what you say.
Because currently, I'm not trying to get you lynched. I'm trying to figure out your perspective. And for my perspective on what I think yours is, you need look no further than above.

MarsKid

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Sess confirms Unu made a chat, but Sess also suspects Unu. Ergo, Sess shouldn't be as skeptical of Unu's role if he was able to demonstrate it.

If Unu becomes the de facto lynch target, Sess is ready to vote here, and Unu flipping red would help push her into town.

Food for thought.

Unusual_Dood

Reaction score
That would be what would generally be considered "a gambit" a high risk/high reward all-in sort of play. And no, I'm not missing the fact that sessy would have to be mafia in that scenario (see: "talk to my mafia buddies").
So you are considering voting her over me?

And the reason I used the phrase "Yell at everybody" is because you're talking to both mars and I like we're stupid children because we're, again, skeptical in a game about lying. Which frankly would give me the impression that you're upset that people aren't just going along with what you say.
I can agree with on you, but not on with mars

Unusual_Dood

Reaction score
Unusual_Dood why did you visit me if you believed I was town? Instead of visiting Inf who you suspect?
First of all it was because a mafia could deny my claim which would result in me getting lynched. Secondly it was to so mafia wouldn't know which of me and Erik that was the cop, so he hopefully could survive the night.

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
So you are considering voting her over me?

I can agree with on you, but not on with mars
I haven't considered anything about my vote yet.

And I'm sorry, I read back the last page, and I guess I held onto the tone of this post (right before I started posting) and applied it to your whole conversation with Mars.
Except it doesn't and you would be a fool to ignore a townie which can prove themselves.
You were pretty formal and polite with Mars...Which makes me wonder what changed for you to be so rude to me?

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Plot Twist:

My role is annonymeously actually referred to as "Sheriff X" (not my role name and I will come back to what I mean), but my ability works differently than a cop. My role is called Bill Rutherson like I said earlier, but my actual ability is that I can select a player each day, which will be added to a private conversation with an annonymeous account I can use, during the night phase. The account I was given was called "Sheriff X", and I was given the password so I could use it.

When I said "You may not want to lynch the cop", I wasn't technically wrong (at least in my eyes), but in handsight we can all agree on that I should have clarified how my role actually worked, although the claim could have been a little more scummy. After Erik claimed I was very suprised, so I regret what I did before that.
'wait what I claimed cop, even though I'm not a cop, and I got cc'd?? :O'

there's like zero way I can believe this

However, after Erik was outed I think I did the best I could do which was to claim the same ability as him, otherwise I think I most surely would be lynched, and try to get neither of us killed d0.
and yet you voted erik when he claimed cop ?
I don’t know what to think but I’m definitely sus of both inf and unu. Like didn’t we already kill off the cop? So why is there a sheriff role too??
how come you claimed to the sheriff by the way?

I don’t know what to think but I’m definitely sus of both inf and unu. Like didn’t we already kill off the cop? So why is there a sheriff role too??
sLiP?!/!/1 (just joking)

You were about to go down, not Unu. Don't start that overly-pedantic shit again or I'll really regret not following through with that lynch.
it's called misunderstanding you not being pedantic

It was a dumb play in my book because I botched the vote
I mean you didn't you killed a vanilla instead of a PR ;)
The idea of their being two private messaging roles that are town-sided is frankly ridiculous from a balancing perspective and I doubt that our roles could exist at the same time.
I mean I disagree with the idea of two town messaging roles being ridiculous from a balancing perspective, but UNU's claim still makes 0 sense to me

The idea of their being two private messaging roles that are town-sided is frankly ridiculous from a balancing perspective and I doubt that our roles could exist at the same time.

Sessy could easily be scum partner and you're an investigative maf role.
He'd be dragging down his partner then as well as him (surely he knows there's like a 99% chance he's dying today if he's maf), so I doubt it

Sessy could easily be scum partner and you're an investigative maf role. Feels very convenient you claimed a private chat ability after I help vote off the only person that would be able to support my claim.
Are you saying you think he somehow knew fog was your target?

Ok

So explain why we shouldnt do the following:

Let me live for another day, and then we'll lynch someone else who's scum *cough Infected *cough*. If I am not proven by another person tomorrow or dead, I'm scum and so is Sessy.
if you are somehow town please question your confidence on me being scum because 'inf mentioned me after sessy mentioned a gut feeling on me and hk said he didn't like the energy of voting fog'

but anyways your role being true doesn't mean you're town, you could be a mafia messenger role

--

Not done catching up since I'm going back to work but I'll be back in a couple hours

MarsKid

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Having two chat roles in of itself isn't terribly ridiculous, as there are plenty of precedents established on this forum. My biggest issue is that because it's such a small game, something that's relatively uncommon should be even more so. Especially when it's a closed set-up game, it really damages town if town roles can cc each other so easily; maf can basically just sit back and watch town destroy themselves w/o putting in effort.

My earlier tinfoil point was that maf could have a rolecop or tracker that could have seen either my role or that I visited Fog, thus helping them make a claim.

Sess being maf as well is perhaps a stretch, but it could be a potential power play; if I get voted out/Unu is otherwise spared this day and night phase, maf goes into D2 w/numbers advantage and a potential item combo. It's also unknown whether or not there are 2 or 3 members, so this can all be a smokescreen to turn one member into a deepwolf.

sessybessy

aka Jenben101
Creative Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
how come you claimed to the sheriff by the way?
I was asked to reveal my role and since I’m just a boring old townie it wouldn’t hurt to share the information because I can’t do anything particularly ‘fun’ during the night so being visited by the sheriff was quite the event for me

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Before Erik claimed:
- I thought I was the closest you would come to cop as my role was named "Sheriff X" and the game has few players, and I was going to see if I could use that for any further advantage.
if you're town you make far too many assumptions that are based on so little
After Erik claimed:
- Didn't want to retract my claim or clarify my role as harm was done and I would be lynched.
except you voted erik immediately after seeing him claim cop, and weren't making any argument for why you should both live at all until you quoted mars mentioning it

so for a while there, you were fully willing to support a lynch on an actual cop claim just to save your own life?

MarsKid Even if you don't believe me, we can lynch someone else today and wait for my role to be confirmed by another player.
you having the ability you say you do =/= you're town

If you have played mafia before, yes
mafia being called Sheriff X isn't exactly impossible nor unlikely

I'm assuming the aliens are disguised as humans hence why we can't tell them apart from us, so aliens disguising as a Sheriff could easily be a thing, plus being called Sheriff might make some players trust you a little enough to give you info which, if you were maf, would make your role a bit more useful, so that could be what hosts aimed for as well

basically your name means nothing for your alignment really, so leaving you alive wont clear you

I’m not necessarily sus about Unu I’m more confused as to why town has 2 roles that can visit during the night.
?

seems a bit like backpedalling to get mars off your back rather than just being honest

That's a good question, but the role itself gives us the opportunity to prove ourself which is why I think both of us should survive this day.
how does it prove sessy? or am i misunderstanding what you said

Especially when it's a closed set-up game, it really damages town if town roles can cc each other so easily; maf can basically just sit back and watch town destroy themselves w/o putting in effort.
yeah true, depends if the hosts thought people would see 2 messengers and decide it was super unlikely town had two i guess

--

okay fully caught up, got dinner now but will make another post after RE twg's items

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
mafia being called Sheriff X isn't exactly impossible nor unlikely

I'm assuming the aliens are disguised as humans hence why we can't tell them apart from us, so aliens disguising as a Sheriff could easily be a thing, plus being called Sheriff might make some players trust you a little enough to give you info which, if you were maf, would make your role a bit more useful, so that could be what hosts aimed for as well

basically your name means nothing for your alignment really, so leaving you alive wont clear you
also just to clarify on why im saying this (since i just realized that you think your name is referencing a role), just because Sheriff is usually a town role doesn't mean that's where the rolename here came from, our roles so far are flavour rooted, so im seeing the word 'Sheriff' for its flavour value, not a nod to the sheriff town role (not even sure if stranger's even met a town sheriff role even?)

sessybessy

aka Jenben101
Creative Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
seems a bit like backpedalling to get mars off your back rather than just being honest
I did backpedal because I suspect you more than Unu, just a gut instinct. Also because, as explained, why would Unu show up as a sheriff role if he isn't sheriff? Yet I'm also confused as to why Unu lied about his role function in the first place which got Erik killed, is he trying to lynch innocent town?

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I did backpedal because I suspect you more than Unu, just a gut instinct. Also because, as explained, why would Unu show up as a sheriff role if he isn't sheriff? Yet I'm also confused as to why Unu lied about his role function in the first place which got Erik killed, is he trying to lynch innocent town?
Why do you suspect me all of a sudden?

And UNU could have his sheriff role but also be mafia

--

anyways, honestly though I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm not even sure how to feel about UNU anymore

on one hand, his behaviour has been so anti town it's ridiculous to even consider that he could be town

but on the other hand a couple things are actually pulling me back to thinking maybe he is town?

ill explain:

When I said "You may not want to lynch the cop", I wasn't technically wrong (at least in my eyes), but in handsight we can all agree on that I should have clarified how my role actually worked, although the claim could have been a little more scummy. After Erik claimed I was very suprised, so I regret what I did before that.
Before Erik claimed:
- I thought I was the closest you would come to cop as my role was named "Sheriff X" and the game has few players, and I was going to see if I could use that for any further advantage.
in his first post, UNU really doesn't explain why he thought he was right to claim cop, he just says "I wasn't technically wrong", which basically leaves a gaping hole in his argument where you can say 'just because you have a rolename linking to a cop that doesn't make you town's cop what the heck????'

he then later clarifies on this (see second quote)

the fact he didn't clarify this initially is what is making me think maybe that came from town instead of scum, since if he's truly BSing all of this, surely, surely he'd have known to make it abundantly clear why he thought he should claim cop when making his defence, but he forgot to do that apparently

if he's town and just kinda writing down from memory what happened and relying on that to be efficient though, then leaving that hole there becomes plausible

plus, just the way he's speaking, stubbornly believing that town should leave him alive, kinda makes me townread him too, like my gut says he genuinely believes what hes saying

so yeah thats where im at with UNU rn???

my gut is back to thinking mars is strong town, which means (assuming my reads are correct for a second) that there are two town messaging roles? it's not impossible but doesnt seem likely either

obviously between the two of them im trusting mars over UNU but kinda wanna trust both of them??????

MarsKid what's your rolename?

Unusual_Dood what items do you have?

also now that im back to thinking UNU might not be scum, im no longer as confident on TWG being scum as well though

so hk is probably my #1 suspect outside of UNU currently, i feel like 85% confident hk is scum

honestly WHAT IS THIS GAME

i know i said id talk about TWG's item stuff, and i will do, but i need a bit more time for that post first so bare with me